First of all…
The following hike is a high alpine hiking tour. Mountain experience, stamina, sure-footedness and good preparation are the best prerequisites for a successful and safe day trip. Please do not attempt it wearing sports shoes, normal street shoes or flip-flops! This ensures nothing will get in the way of an adventurous hike. Still have questions? For more safety tips, click here ... And now enjoy reading about this tour.
Goiserer Hut and Mount Kalmberg
The Goiserer Hütte, with the Kalmberg, is among the loveliest destinations around Bad Goisern. One can drive over the Goiserer bridge to Stainach. The Goiserer Hütte sits on the summit ridge high above us. We ignor the route marking and follow the ever ascending path along the Schüttbach. Across the deteriorated Trockentannalm, with its nine huts, we climb quickly on increasingly steep terrain. The serpentine bends are well planned. The mountain flanks, high above us, are exceedingly steep.
Mountaineers have built a resting place of larch wood - the Wallmann-Poldl Rast. The deteriorated huts on the Niederen Scharten Alm are ignored. the mountain landscapes are ever lovelier. We can see out to the Toten Gebirge, and down to Goisern. Wonderful larches rice above lovely dwarf-pines are we near the hut which will provide us with provisions. We can see the Großglockner from here.The view to the Dachstein summit, down to Goisern and Gosau , to the Gosaukamm an dth whole range is unforgettable. From the Goiserer Hütte we choose the route down to Hochmuth and reach the valley in three hours. One can also reach the Goiserer Hütte from Gosau. the path is about for hours longer, but less difficult.
Tip from the Editorial Team
Mobile Phone Reception in Alpine Terrain
On this hiking tour you will be in high alpine terrain. Although the mobile phone reception is widespread in Austria, there can still be so-called dead spots in some places. Here are a few important tips for mountain hikers.
You should bear this in mind:
- Carry your mobile phone on your body: Ready to hand!
- Always keep your mobile phone fully charged.
- Take a small power bank with you (additionally charged battery).
- Inform hosts and friends about this tour in advance.
- Also inform them of the exact route.
- You can find more information on emergency calls and tips on "Safety in the mountains" here...
We wish you an eventful hiking day in the Salzkammergut!
Your editorial team
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!