This highest alpine pasture of the Salzkammergut
The lower Sarsteinalm is located at 1710m above sea level in Bad Goisern on Lake Hallstatt and is a popular stopover for all Sarstein hikers in summer, as well as in autumn. This highest alpine pasture of the Salzkammergut is farmed all summer. The dairymaid not only provides drinks to quench your thirst but also refreshes the palate of the hungry hikers with small, simple meals such as “Kaiserschmarrn” and sandwiches – in addition there is the view of the wild peaks of the Gosaukamm.
Our tip: If you want to stay overnight at the Niederen Sarsteinalm, you should secure a place in advance. Especially during the main hiking season it could be that the sleeping places in the mattress dormitory are already full!
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!