Brettljause between mountains & lake
After hiking with your family around the picturesque Lake Gosau in the afternoon, or conquering the climbing route with friends or a leisurely paddle over the idyllic mountain lake with your partner, when the dairyman greets you with a cheerful "Griaß di" and you are served with a hearty Brettljause (Austrian ploughman’s lunch)... this is the experience of summer on the Klackl or Seeklausalm Alpine pasture in UNESCO World Heritage region of Dachstein Salzkammergut. A hearty meal with homemade natural products from the region, along with a fresh shandy, the breath-taking panoramic view of the mighty Dachstein Glacier and the romantic ringing of cowbells – this is how diverse and stunning a holiday on Lake Gosau can be!
Our tip: The Klackl or Seeklausalm in Gosau is particularly good "for guests who are not able walkers": The idyllic mountain pasture, above Lake Gosau, is a 10 or 15 minute walk from the large car park or bus stop respectively!
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!